Storage is a problem for many households around the globe. People are realizing that although they have problems with storage, their huge loft space is still being used.
You can easily open your attic to store items. All you need is an attic ladder. After you have purchased your ladder, you will need to decide whether you want a tradesman or yourself to install it. This installation guide is specifically for modern truss roofs.
These are some tips to help you install your folding attic ladder, from opening the ceiling to fitting the architraves.
You will need the following tools:
- Saw (that can be used to cut both wood and plasterboard).
- A spirit level
- Carpenters square
- Measurement of Tape
- Drill and bits
An architrave and attic ladder is also required. Either make them yourself or buy a kit.
1. The right place for your attic ladder will be needed. You should ensure that there is no obstruction, such as wires or electrical wiring above the proposed area. Modern truss roofs should be fitted between the joists to prevent any cutting.
2. Place a nail in each corner (starting at the top).
3. Use your architrave or your spirit level to draw a line connecting the points of the rectangle.
4. To make sure that it is parallel to the nearest wall, measure it and then use your plasterboard saw or hand saw to trim the area.
5. Fit your ladder in place. This can be done by attaching ropes to each end and pulling the ladder up. Once the casing is fixed to the joists, ensure it is level.
6. To make sure it is at least four on each side, open the ladder and drive more screws through each end.
And, you are done with your attic ladder installation.